Friday, April 22, 2011

Diffused LEDs

So I decided to go ahead an diffuse the LEDs that I got in the mail. I would like to let everyone know that it takes a long time to pour the hot glue on top of the LED, then let it cool enough, and at the last second sort of mold it with your fingers to make it nice and round. I must have spend at least two and a half hours doing so... Next time I am definatly getting diffused LEDs instead of trying to do it myself.

Two LEDs with the same source to show that they are both the same brightness (not the color of the finished product, but they help give an idea of how diffusing works)

The LED on the right was 'diffused' with hot glue. Much more of the light is now coming out of the sides as opposed to off the top
Five of the first LEDs
24 of the 25 LEDs diffused. One of the LEDs had a bad connection, so it wouldn't light up. 

After all of the diffusing, I decided to work on the frame a little bit. I was hoping to get farther, but I had to get ready for work, so I just stopped here for today. 

W00t, a frame!
It is starting to look good. All it needs are some LEDs
So the project is starting to take shape. All I need to do is get a replacement LED (because like an idiot, I bought exactly 25) and trim down the tops of the inner walls of the housing. You can't really see it in the picture, but when I put in the backing, it ending up raising the inner walls about 1/8 of an inch. Good news is that my dad bought me a Dremel, but it is in the mail. So again, we are going to have to wait.

Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. i like those white ones .. well and that green is awesome too

    ReplyDelete
  2. @amBored
    I don't have any white ones... For this project, I am using blue ones (I talked about it in my previous post). I just used these green ones to illustrate light diffusion. And in my tool box, I have some red, and some yellow ones as well. I might get some white ones some day though d:

    ReplyDelete